Monday, December 28, 2015

Atone (Recovered Innocence #2) by Beth Yarnall



 photo 25640696_zpsixarj3tp.jpg






Atone (Recovered Innocence #2)
Beth Yarnall’s sexy and emotional Recovered Innocence series continues as two broken souls discover that keeping their hands off each other is even harder than facing their demons.

Beau: Six years. That’s how long I spent behind bars for a crime I didn’t commit—the murder of the woman I loved. Now I’m free, but life on the outside is a different kind of prison. I don’t know who I am or who I want to be. At least I have my sister, Cora. She never stopped believing in me. She even got me a job at the private investigation agency that cleared my name. And then Vera Swain walks into Nash Security and Investigations and kicks my world on its ass.

Vera: There’s only one thing that would make me come out of hiding after two years on the run: finding my sister. I made the mistake of telling a monster about her, the same monster who beat me and broke me. Now I’m forced to confide in Beau Hollis of Nash Security and Investigations. He looks at me like he knows me—the real me. He sees too much, makes me feel too much. The pleasure he offers is exciting and addictive. But I can’t fall for him . . . because my love could get us both killed.

Includes a special message from the editor, as well as an excerpt from another Loveswept title.





I read the first book in the series which is Vindicate and you can find my review here:
 
I was torn between my feelings on that book and here it is no different. I really enjoyed this book and I want to give it 5 stars and I actually feel bad and I wish that I could give it 4 stars but in the end I can only give it 3 Stars. 
Please don’t judge me.
 Beau Hollis has been released for a crime that he didn’t commit the murder of his ex-girlfriend and the wounds that it caused sit deep. “I walked out of the California Institute for Men in Chino, California, two thousand, two hundred and seventy one days-more than six years-after I walked in. I was finally free. Free.” 
Beau does a lot at the beginning for his sister Cora as he has her to thank for his freedom. He sleeps on her sofa, isn’t entirely sure what he is to do with this life. So he starts working for Nash Security. He has a deep hole with nothing to fill it. 
That is until Vera Swain walks in and asks them to find her sister Marie. Vera is not who she makes herself out to be. She has had a tough past, her prison wasn’t the same as Beau’s but they were both trapped in different ways that is until she ran away. 
 Like recognises like. 
Beau and Vera strike up a friendship that leads to more. There was good character development and I liked how they both evolved and dealt with their demons. They get to the bottom of the sex trafficking ring and it goes deep as well as how high it goes up. There is a good plot to the story and we get bread crumbs of where the story is going. There was a strong build up but the most happened in the last 30 % of the book so before that it did drag a bit.
 I also felt that there were a lot of thoughts and feelings repeated and in a way it contributed to the story but on the other hand I feel as if the sentences could have been phrased differently. 
Please note that this is my personal opinion and in the grand scheme of things it can be taken at face value but I recommend reading the book and finding it out for yourself. 
 I will most certainly read the next in the series. 
Book given to me via Netgalley from Random Publishing Group – Loveswept in exchange for a honest review.

reviewed by