Monday, December 28, 2015

Drantos (VLG #1) by Laurann Dohner






 photo 27860118_zpszxdgncsp.jpg



Drantos (VLG #1)
For most, a plane crash means the end of life. For Dusti Dawson, it’s just the beginning…

Dusti and her sister Batina survived the crash, thanks to a couple of brothers who are equal parts menacing and muscled. She’d be grateful…if they hadn’t turned out to be delusional kidnappers, who believe Dusti’s grandfather is some monstrous halfbreed creature bent on murder. Turns out Vampires, Lycans, and Gargoyles do exist— and they’ve been crossbreeding to form two hybrid races. Drantos, the man Dusti can’t stop lusting after, is one of the most dangerous of all.

VampLycans Drantos and Kraven were sent to eliminate a threat to their clan. But when that threat turns out to be mostly human women, clueless of their lineage, plans change—especially after Drantos gets a taste of Dusti’s blood. Now, he’ll die to protect her. Even if that means walking away from everything he knows to keep her at his side.

Is her strong desire for Drantos reason enough to endure danger coming from all sides? Or should Dusti cut and run the first chance she gets?

Author Note: VLG stands for Vampires, Lycans, Gargoyles…and breeds in between. Living in Alaska’s harsh, pristine territories, these creatures live and love fiercely. These are their stories.





 
 photo keep an open mind_zpsso7rcyog.jpg
So we all know Laurann Dohner and we all love Laurann Dohners New Species series. Here are some of my favourites. Obviously there are more books and more series but this is one of the best. So getting to Drantos, I was really surprised that Ms. Dohner has started a new series. My first impression was A new Laurann Dohner book. I must live under a rock. 

 photo GetAttachment_zpsrknsn1e1.jpg

And I instantly pre ordered it. Please note that the cover is somewhat shite so don’t judge it.

 photo 27860118_zpszxdgncsp.jpg
So please
 photo keep an open mind_zpsso7rcyog.jpg
So the beginning of the book is “Brace for impact” The pilot’s voice sounded high-pitched for a man his fear obvious. “Tighten your belts, remove all sharp objects from your pockets, and bend forward-“ 

I thought well this is pretty cool not for the passengers but it did sound promising it then went to humour after they are saved by two brothers. “I’m Drantos,” the long haired guy informed Dusti when he looked down to hold her stunned stare. “We’re hopefully going to save your asses by protecting you with our bodies.” 

They do save them and there is the typical humour His smiled turned into an outright grin. “Sorry about that. I hope I didn’t damage you down there. That would be a crime. I love bright red, by the way. Is that a thong? I can only see the front.” Dusti and Bat Dawson are on their way to Alaska to visit their “dying” Grandfather, Decker Filmore. Bat was invited but Dusti wasn’t she doesn’t like her Grandfather. 

But not out of the kindness of his heart. They are saved by Drantos and Kraven. But they have their own agenda. They are to intercept the two before they meet up with their Grandfather. So here is where it gets slightly complicated. 

So from what I can remember and what I’ll try to explain it goes as follows: There are Lycans and then there are Vampires. Some interbreed mixing occurred and the Vamplycans are born. They are stronger than the vampires which means they are in danger so they flee to Alaska where they meet a clan of Gargoyles they can also mate with Lycans and they are then a hybrid mx of Garlycan. They settle down and there are a total of four clans. It is similar to how a pack is run clan leader/alpha, enforcer etc. Three of these four clans want to live in peace. 

One of the clans that belonging to Decker Filmore wants more power. He wants Bat to give her to Lord Aveoth because his former lover died and he is addicted to a specific blood and his Granddaughters are of that bloodline. There is a lot of world building in this book and to be honest I nearly gave up on it as I kept on comparing it to her other books which you can’t do. 

After about 15 % it got better. 
I persevered. I rock. I get that Ms. Dohner wants to branch out with her ideas and after a long inner debate, believe me it took a while to get to grips with it and it is promising and has potential. I personally think a lot of potential.

 Dusti annoyed the living shite out of me. She was borderline TSTL, not a heroine that I am usually used to. Some of the things that came out of her mouth had me mentally screaming at her to shut her frigging trap. 

Drantos has the patience of a frigging saint. He can be my mate any day. So the mate, mine thing is still there which made me smile. There were times I wanted to read the book and continue and other times I felt like chucking it against the wall. 

In her previous books it has been done that the heroines in the book come out strong to those who think that she is weak. This didn’t happen here though there was a lot of pushing and pulling. I felt sorry for Dusti in how the clan treated her. She came to deal with her not so human side. 

They have obstacles that they need to overcome but all in all a good start to the series. 

reviewed by