Monday, February 22, 2016

Nine Letters by Blake Austin

 


Goodreads Review





Luke Cawley is a broken man. After his wife's tragic death, he lost everything that mattered in the world. Now, his life is filled with hard days, harder nights, and a steady stream of alcohol and the wrong kind of women. Nothing helps.

Until the letters arrive on Luke's doorstep.

Nine envelopes. Nine messages. Nine chances to find his way back.

Rae Goode is looking for the real thing. After fighting her way out of a string of bad relationships, she's ready for something different--something true.
She meets Luke while piecing her life together, and right away she can tell that he's different. Drawn together by fate and the desire to heal, Rae and Luke discover new ways to mend their broken hearts--one letter at a time.

Discover Blake Austin's debut novel of loss, redemption, and ever-enduring love.
 



Nine Letters isn’t what I expected at all. I finished this book yesterday, so with some of what I’m gonna write I’ll be winging it peeps.
I don’t like labels so this isn’t a pure new adult romance but there is much more depth to this book to the characters and to the journey that our main character Luke takes.
At a young age you think that you know everything. The older you get and the more you experience you realise you know jack shite about things especially if they drive over you with an 18 wheeler.
This is what happened to Luke, he lost his very young wife to cancer and the past year has been filled with self-loathing, self-destruction and generally being a rude git.
After the one year anniversary of his wife passing away he receives a package with nine letters, numbered from 1-9, he starts with letter 1 has to finish the task before he can open the next letter. Letter 1 get a dog. And so on and so forth.
Now there is a female lead Rae who I felt we didn’t see enough about but eventually they do get it together. She is trying to get her life together as well and not get involved with toxic men anymore.
They meet at the animal shelter and there are several interactions between the two.
But this is more of Luke finding himself back to the person that he was or the person that he can be if he puts his mind to it.  On some level I did get Luke but there were other moments where I felt like punching him in the face. I know he is hurting and bleeding from a wound which is hard to staunch but dude you are fucked up and believe me he is frigging trying.
We read how he met his wife Emily, how they got married and what kind of relationship that they have. Ms. Blake has done an awesome job for a debut novel. Very talented and can write a plot full of emotion and heart breaking, depressing themes.
My one other issue was that I don’t really have a problem with religion each to their own but the concept of me with blind faith is hard to comprehend.
If I was Indiana Jones I would totally fail that test in getting to the Holy Grail and still be falling down a bottomless pit until I would get to the centre of the Earth and be nuked with some lava or what not.
To be honest if I had known this beforehand I really do not know if I would have read the book.
Nevertheless thank you for this read.  There are also many positive aspects to this book. This is just my own opinion and to be taken at face value only.