Friday, March 25, 2016

Fighting Solitude (On the Ropes #3) by Aly Martinez



Goodreads Review

 
 
I was born a fighter. Abandoned by my parents, I spent my life forging my own path—one guided by my fists and paved with pain.

Untouchable in the ring, I destroyed everyone who faced me, but that’s where my victories ended. Outside the ropes, I repeatedly failed the few people who loved me. Including my best friend, Liv James—the one person I’d die to protect.

Even though I didn’t deserve her, Liv never stopped believing in me. Never gave up. Never let go. After all, she understood what I’d lost, because she’d lost it too.

Liv was everything to me, but she was never truly mine.

That was going to change.

I lost my first love, but I refused to lose my soulmate.

Now, I’m on the ropes during the toughest battles of my life.
Fighting to be the man she deserves.
Fighting the solitude of our pasts.

Fighting for her.


Once upon a time there were three boys that were brothers where each and every one of them was dealt a shite hand in life. Till was “Fighting Silence” when he met his Eliza. Flint was “Fighting Shadows” to get to Ash. And Quarry he need to get over “Fighting Solitude” to be with Liv.

You don’t have to read the first two in the series but I can only insist that you do read them.
Each and every book took a bit of my heart when I finished but Quarry’s book is different.

I was dying for this book to be released and then in all honesty I didn’t want to read it. Why? Well I had this image of Quarry in my head and I didn’t want to spoil it at all. So I waited and then I waited some more.

Which leads me to now.

5 Alone-Together Stars

We all love Quarry and where I’ve given it a high rating all in all there are some things that I would have done differently.



Liv and Quarry met when Liv was nine years old and Quarry was ten years old. Liv is Leo James’ daughter and even at nine she is a force to be reckoned with. Her first thought when she met Quarry was.

“I was nine. Boys were disgusting. But not this one. This one was beautiful, and my normal sass evaded me as my mouth dried out”

They became best friends and partners in crime. They developed a once in a life time friendship that at some point turn into more.

Their journey is over a time span of fourteen years with ups and downs. With Quarry using Liv’s fear against her they didn’t talk to one another for three years until they met again that day her heart broke again because Quarry had Mia but they all became best friends even with the difficulties at the beginning.

Now we all know what happens as it is the ending of book two and we get it in a prologue with this book so I’m just going to skip this bit and get what really bothered to me later.
Now to the grown up relationship of Liv and Quarry.

Quarry pulled himself back from everything after Mia. And Liv is his one constant in his life. Liv loved Quarry for fourteen years although there were times that she shouldn’t have so guilt played a role.

Quarry felt as if he had failed all the women in his life so he was feeling guilt as well. About Eliza and then Mia and he didn’t want to fail Liv the same.

I was frustrated that it took them so long to get together and then everything seemed to happen so fast that I was disappointed. But as they have known one another for so long I guess that makes sense.

And then when they do get together this bothered me and I mean really bothered me.
The. Dead. Girl. Gets. In. The. Way. Happy days there peeps!

And then Liv suddenly got over it like a cold. Grr what was all the shite about then?
Throughout all the things that bothered me. I loved them together and they truly did have something special.



 
There were beautiful moments and there were some moments where I had something in my eye so my eyes watered. Yes I had something in my eye. I don’t cry it is a waste of tears.

They talk about it like adults and yes I know the whole thing of that they are adults but that doesn’t change the fact that in some books adults should behave like adults but they don’t.

I would have liked to have seen more of the plot of Garrett “Golden” Davenport in my opinion it could have been fleshed out more and it was a great idea for a plot.

Till and Eliza had their window, Flint and Ash had a patch of weeds but what did Quarry and Liv have? I kind of missed that. Or I’m too dim-witted to see it.

There were times were I was thinking Are we going somewhere with this? And yes it was going somewhere I just couldn’t figure out where. Which in itself is good and bad.

Ms. Martinez delivers a solid ending to an absolutely fantastic ending! I love her writing style which sucked me in right away till the very end! And I am sad to see this series end. Each and every book was a beautiful ride.

Some of my highlights were that Clay Page redeemed himself in some way and he knew is flaws and faults and he was still proud of his children.

Leo James having a chat with a thirteen year old Quarry. A really sappy ending but it is still beautiful.