Friday, November 11, 2016

Future Shock by Elizabeth Briggs





Goodreads review


Elena Martinez has hidden her eidetic memory all her life—or so she thinks. When powerful tech giant Aether Corporation selects her for a top-secret project, she can’t say no. All she has to do is participate in a trip to the future to bring back data, and she’ll be set for life. Elena joins a team of four other teens with special skills, including Adam, a science prodigy with his own reason for being there.

But when the time travelers arrive thirty years in the future, something goes wrong, and they break the only rule they were given: do not look into their own fates. Now they have twenty-four hours to get back to the present and find a way to stop a seemingly inevitable future from unfolding. With time running out and deadly secrets uncovered, Elena must use her eidetic memory, street smarts, and a growing trust in Adam to save her new friends and herself.
 
 
 
 
Such a great read I could not put it down. That is also saying something as most of the time I seem to have an allergic reaction to Young Adult but with the element of a dash of Sci-fi or maybe fantasy has made the book one of the first YA books that I have enjoyed in a while.
I’m going to try and not ruin it with spoilers so forgive me if I am vague or if I give anything away.
Now ever since I have seen ‘Back to the Future’ I love the concept of time travel. I also had a thing for Michael J. Fox in the film. So I jump at the chance when there is one to read a book about time travel.
Elena Martinez is about to ease out of the foster care system at the age of seventeen she is looking for a job but no one seems to want to employ her. She has an eidetic memory. She is strong and silent. Has a slight okay major temper but is loyal to a fault but not that trusting although her limits are tested here.
A once in a lifetime opportunity arises and with the amount of money that is being offered she can’t say no although she has a gut feeling that something is off. But a day of research at the tech company Aether doesn’t seem too bad for that much money she can’t say no.
While at Aether Corporation she is not the only one that has been recruited. There are four others who have signed up. Chris, Trent & Zoe who are also in foster care and Adam who isn’t in foster care but has his reasons for doing it.
There is some romance between Adam and Elena and you can feel the chemistry between them. There was always some doubt to why Adam was doing it but it wasn’t what it seems.
There are so many twists and turns to the story that I didn’t case right up until the end when Elena guessed as well who it was only then did it click. There were two things where I was disappointed, I can’t and I won’t say what but it adds to the story.
There are rules that they have to stick to in regards to Project Chronos but landing thirty years in the future and not ten then yes I would break the rules as well.
I received a copy in exchange for a honest review but let me be honest I wouldn’t have bought this book under normal circumstances for the price of over 8 € that is pretty steep, I’m usually willing to spend 6 € on a book and even that is pushing it.