Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Fluence: A Contemporary Dystopian Novel by Stephen Oram



Goodreads Review



 
 
 
Amber is young and ambitious. Martin is burnt out by years of struggling. She cheats to get what she wants while he barely clings on to what he has.

It’s the week before the annual Pay Day when strata positions are decided by the controlling corporations. The social media feed is frenetic with people trying to boost their influence rating while those above the strata and those who’ve opted out pursue their own manipulative goals.

Set in a dystopian London, 'Fluence' is a story of aspiration and desperation and of power seen and unseen. It’s a story of control and consequence. It’s the story of the extremes to which Amber and Martin are prepared to go in these last ten thousand minutes before Pay Day.
 
 


3-4 Fluctuating Stars.
For me personally this is a difficult book to rate. It isn’t cut and dry and there is no black and white when it comes to the plot of this story. I can also imagine that this type of dystopian novel doesn’t work for everyone. But it did work for me.
I’m not going to go into too much detail and leave some things cryptic as this is a book you need to go into with an open mind. Believe me it is worth it.
In a world where power, ambition matter and what kind of colored status you have purely based on how well you sell yourself and put yourself out there the pressure is high to achieve points to move up  the ladder.
I can only say that although there are similarities to today’s society. The book takes it to the extreme. Now I personally am not a fan of Facebook, don’t get me wrong I have an account but I’m not the kind of person to share my life with everyone. I really also don’t think that people are interested in what I eat, drink or at what time I go to bad or go to work. I have other social media accounts but they seem to be different when I use them. But mainly it is about playing the system and getting what you want. It effects everything in your life to where you eat, live etc.
I realize I’m getting off the topic here.
It is intriguing, original and well thought out with exceptional writing by the author. It makes you think about today and the moral aspect of things, do you listen to your conscience or live for the rat race by stabbing as many people in the back to just gain a higher status.
It also made me feel slightly uneasy and to take a look at how I would react to it all. I think personally I would fail in a system like that or be mentally exhausted by the constant stress and worry to deviate from my target.